FROM BODY-LANGUAGE YOU CAN COMMUNICATE THE INTANGIBLES
* Communicate on high energy level.
* Be physical [visually & vocally].
* Be exciting [appropriately so]
* Remember people can't see inside you.
* Project visually and vocally to those furthest.
* Plan gestures - they'll look contrived artificial.
* Be tentative.
* Deliver a presentation as though in a phone box.
* Not elbow, but shoulder.
EFFECTIVE USE OF VISUAL AIDS
- Ensure visibility, simplicity, clarity
- vary the presentation to suit circumstance words - picture - graphs
- Ensure visual aid is related to objective
- Position visual aid to side and centre yourself before the group.
- 'Clear' the visual with the audience :
- identify what it is -
- explain what it means -
Touch the visual where you want audience attention.
Turn, and talk to the audience
Remember, you are a visual aid
Sting the aid to life
watch their eyes - it tells you when to move on
Remember, visual aids are to help the audience, not you
CONTROLLING AND INVOLVING THE AUDIENCE
DIALOGUE WITH AUDIENCE
Establish informal mood / relationship with group.
Ask group to reserve questions until the end
Prior to receiving questions - ask questions designed to stimulate questions
Use individual names
Ask questions -general -overhead direct - rhetorical open / closed etc.
Create a receptive atmosphere -smile use eye contact gestures
Remove fear reward and acknowledge participant -
Support - agree / paraphrase -expand
Reinforce desired behaviour
- Move around the audience accepting questions
- use hands and arms to invite and direct questions
- Turn accusatory statements into questions
- Think only about the question that are asked - not the answer
- If question is of a personal nature then de-personalise
- Defuse emotional questions by asking for clarification
- If unclear or not heard, you may have to rephrase or repeat questions to entire group
have a 1:1 discussion
ask for approval of your restatement of question - i.e., 'is that the question you asked?'
go back to the questioner and ask for approval of your answer
end your answer by looking at your questioner
Lose your cool
Say ''your question isn't clear''
if you don't understand the question then ask him/her to repeat it.